As a modern business owner, you already appreciate the benefits of updating your company website. If you truly wish to unlock the full potential of your site (and business), web analytics will play a key role. But while most companies and web development teams continue to drag along with Google Analytics, our experts at SaneChoice now use Plausible.io.
Want to know more about Plausible. Io and why it is the best option for analytics privacy and the future of your online strategies? Here’s all you need to know.
The growing problems with Google Analytics
Google Analytics launched in 2005 and has been the most commonly used web analytics platform virtually ever since. The platform has helped millions of website administrators over the years and continues to dominate the landscape to this day.
Of course, there are a lot of reasons why people like Google Analytics. It is linked to the world’s biggest search engine, has existed for nearly 20 years, and provides a lot of visitor information. However, the last of those points is also one of the reasons why many websites are starting to migrate away from the web analytics behemoth.
Google Analytics works by storing cookies on a web user’s device. This identifiable information helps website owners gain a deep understanding of how their site performs and can pick out hot leads. For many consumers, though, this is a major issue. Studies show that;
- 80% of UK consumers are actively worried about how businesses store their data.
- Online security is seen as more important than national security by 45% of Brits.
- 79% of global online users feel they have lost control of their online privacy.
- Online interactions account for a huge 91% of identity theft cases.
- Only 6.3% of Brits have seen their fears over online privacy fall in recent times.
In short, modern consumers are increasingly aware of data privacy issues and actively want to minimise their digital fingerprints. When they understand how much of their online activities are stored by Google Analytics, it can be a cause for concern – despite the fact that the data is harvested solely to help businesses improve their performances.
From a business perspective, Google Analytics remains a popular choice as it is free and is universally used. Nevertheless, growing concerns from web users (whether rational or not) have turned the tide while the introduction of Google Analytics 4 and its ability to track users across apps as well as websites means that more and more site administrators may find themselves needing to adopt another option.
As always, SaneChoice is one step ahead of the game and already uses Plausible.io as its web analytics solution for all client websites.
Why we use Plausible.io – benefits, features, and more
Whether looking to complete a full SEO audit or improve the visitor UX, website analytics will play an essential role. While Google Analytics remains the market leader, there are plenty of similar tools on the marketplace. Plausible.io is our choice and can help drive your website to its intended destination.
Unlike Google Analytics, Plausible.io is a paid service. However, at just £9 per month for up to 10,000 visitors, one additional conversion per month would cover this expense. It has been regularly suggested that if a service is free, you are the product. So, switching to a paid yet very affordable service instantly stands out as an attractive feature by business owners across a wide range of industries.
Plausible.io is an open-source web analytics platform made and hosted in the EU, which makes it better aligned to the UK and European markets than a solution that is primarily focused on North American ones. There are a lot of reasons to love the service, which is why we use it as the standard solution on every client website that we design and manage.
Plausible.io privacy features
At a glance, the fundamental features of Plausible aren’t very different from any other website analytics platform. However, the cloud-based service promotes itself as a “simple and privacy-friendly” solution. It’s hard to argue against this given its range of analytics privacy features.
Some of the key attributes that stand Plausible out from the crowd are listed below:
The open-source software is available for anyone to view, which means Plausible offers complete transparency in its coding and how data is collected. This makes it a truly trustworthy solution for the end user, which is something they need to feel towards the brand before buying. In fact, 7 in 10 will actively spend more when they trust a company. Having a transparent analytics tool feeds into this.
When the customer is satisfied, business owners should follow suit.
Minimal data collection
Website analytics tools have to collect some data regarding the user’s interactions on your site, but many take more data than necessary. No personal data or identifiable information is held by Plausible.io. Aside from providing a privacy-friendly service for users, it helps website owners focus on the metrics that actually matter. In turn, this allows you to focus on the site tweaks that actually matter.
By tracking fewer data points, site loading speeds remain fast too.
Data is isolated to one website
Many website analytics tools track a user’s activities across other websites, which is deemed a controversial issue for many consumers. Almost 80% of websites tracked data five years ago, and that figure has increased. However, you do not need to know what users are doing on other websites. Plausible.io only tracks the behaviours across your website, which protects their privacy and makes your analysis far easier.
For most, third-party tracking is overkill.
Many businesses track a single client that keeps returning and will focus so much time on that conversion that they overlook the general trends. Plausible focuses on aggregated data, which actually helps the business make calculated choices that improve the website and customer care features as a whole. Again, it is a key step to protecting a user’s individual data, because it simply isn’t available.
In turn, you get the best website analytics features without the negatives.
Data is not shared
Data sharing with third parties, not least advertising companies is a major issue for many consumers. Worse still, the marketing data industry is worth $52bn and growing. The Plausible.io platform never shares data with advertisers or other third-party teams. As such, it removes the secondary threats, which also helps consumers feel that their data is safer and that the company cares.
The data is also collected per day rather than following them as one trail for life.
Plausible can be self-hosted
Plausible’s commitment to analytics privacy is also shown by the fact that website owners can host the code on their servers for an extra layer of privacy. When added to the fact that 100% of the data is owned by the business rather than the web analytics provider, consumers can feel extra safe. At a time when this is a priority for most people, it is a key privacy feature.
A safe and private solution is guaranteed.
Other key Plausible.io features
While privacy is certainly one of the chief reasons why we now use Plausible web analytics, there are many other features that make it a fantastic solution. The focus on simplicity is evident, making it a wonderful choice for website owners who want to get more out of their site and deliver the best UX without developing advanced new skills.
Some of the key features that enable you to do this via Plausible.io are as follows;
- An easy-to-use dashboard allows you to customise the setup with ease but, more importantly, all major metrics are shown on one page. This saves you from needing to keep flicking back and forth between different tabs.
- It focuses on answering the questions that matter – are paid ads working? What content pages are working? Are issues like 404 errors or dark traffic impacting the performance of the site?
- The shareable nature of the open source solution allows you to easily collaborate with other team members, not least because the data is updated with real-time results.
- Plausible offers an easy-to-understand display with each metric being very easy to understand. Ambiguity, confusion, and distractions are left out of the equation for website owners across all sites.
- The cloud-based facility can be used for all popular web host packages like WordPress and other CMS solutions. A first-party connection also provides accurate stats at all times.
Plausible.io has become increasingly popular since launching in 2019, particularly by privacy-minded companies who appreciate changing consumer mindsets. Now is the time for you to join the digital revolution.
Why we love Plausible.io
As a website design and managed web services provider, the SaneChoice team is fully committed to delivering the best services for clients and end users alike. Plausible.io is a practical, affordable, user-friendly, and analytics privacy-centric solution capable of delivering phenomenal results time and time again.
Google Analytics, Cloudflare, Matomo, and other platforms are all great. However, Plausible.io stands out as the perfect solution for businesses of all shapes and sizes. Here are just 10 reasons why we love it;
- It is a European product that is built with GDPR regulations in mind. The level of analytics privacy keeps end users happy, which ultimately supports website owners in the process.
- Using Plausible means that you own any website data that is collected. It will never be sold to third-party organisations or monetised in any other fashion. This covers personal and behavioural trends.
- Plausible shows an average uptime of 99.9%, meaning that website owners gain valuable insights and do not miss out on relevant data or experience the frustration of an unreliable product.
- As a lightweight solution, Plausible encourages rapid page load times. This is hugely important as each second could cost you 4.42% of your conversions. It’s also a key metric that will influence SEO.
- Plausible.io packages can be split across multiple websites, which gives you great value when each site only gets a smaller level of visitors each month or you run sister sites.
- The dashboard offers flexibility by filtering individual metrics, thus enabling you (or us) to build a website analytics setup that is aligned to your business requirements and objectives.
- Plausible.io additionally offers an eco-friendly solution due to its lightweight attributes. A website with 10,000 monthly visitors could reduce its CO2 output by an impressive 4.5kg.
- You will get traffic spike notifications to help you stay ahead of potential attacks. Given that over half of all victims see their businesses close within six months, this is a vital feature.
- It removes the need for cookie banners, which have been a major source of frustration for web users over the past few years. It can make the road to conversion far smoother.
- As a business owner, you know that your business will not run the risk of data privacy law violations. In turn, you can focus on actively running the company rather than worrying about analytics privacy.
Here at SaneChoice, we can get your Plausbile.io web analytics up and running in style before handing over the very user-friendly platform to your in-house team for easy ongoing management.
Whether launching a new business website or looking to revamp and restructure your existing online strategy, the right website analytics tools will make a world of difference. Plausible.io finds the perfect balance between giving you the information that you need without making users feel that their privacy has been compromised.
When used in conjunction with other services like professional web design, the future of your online activities and its ability to create meaningful relationships that lead to conversions will look brighter than ever.